Introduction and features
"Firefly III" is a (self-hosted) manager for your personal finances. It can help you keep track of your expenses and income, so you can spend less and save more.
Personal financial management is pretty difficult, and everybody has their own approach to it. Some people make budgets, other people limit their cashflow by throwing away their credit cards, others try to increase their current cashflow. There are tons of ways to save and earn money. Firefly III works on the principle that if you know where your money is going, you can stop it from going there.
By keeping track of your expenses and your income you can budget accordingly and save money. Stop living from paycheck to paycheck but give yourself the financial wiggle room you need.
Who is it for?
This application is for people who want to track their finances, keep an eye on their money without having to upload their financial records to the cloud. You're a bit tech-savvy, you like open source software and you don't mind tinkering with (self-hosted) servers.
Possibly, you're always short on money even though in theory, you make enough money to get by.
Firefly III can do the following things:
- You can create and edit transactions, accounts, and give them budgets, categories and tags.
- You can automate part of this with recurring transactions and auto-budgets.
- You can keep track of liabilities.
- It is completely self-hosted and isolated, and will never contact external servers until you explicitly tell it to.
- It features a REST JSON API that covers almost every part of Firefly III.
- There are many translations available.
- All pages feature help texts and support popups.
A list of features
- Create recurring transactions to manage your money
- Rule based transaction handling with the ability to create your own rules
- A double-entry bookkeeping system
- You can store, edit and remove withdrawals, deposits and transfers. This allows you full financial management
- You can manage different types of accounts
- Asset accounts
- Shared asset accounts (household accounts)
- Saving accounts
- Credit cards
- Liabilities (loans, mortgages)
- It's possible to create, change and manage money using budgets
- Organize transactions using categories
- Save towards a goal using piggy banks
- Predict and anticipate bills
- View income and expense reports
- Organize expenses using tags
And the things you would hope for but not expect:
- 2 factor authentication for extra security 🔒
- Supports any currency you want, including crypto currencies such as ₿itcoin and Ξthereum
- There is a Docker image, a Sandstorm.io grain and an Heroku script.
- Lots of help text in case you don't get it
And to organise everything:
- Clear views that should show you how you're doing
- Easy navigation through your records
- Browse back and forth to see previous months or even years
- Lots of charts because we all love them
- If you feel you’re missing something you can just ask me and I'll add it!